Saturday, January 29, 2011

Wallace/Currie Hymnal Suggestions

This morning, for reasons that remain a mystery to me, I had the old song "Mercedes Benz" by the late Janice Joplin running through my head. I couldn't remember all the words but it became readily obvious to me that this song might well qualify as a worship song for the materialism-worshiping congregants of the Jim Wallace and Chuck Currie ilk. So... I found the lyrics. You be the judge.

"Mercedes Benz"

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a color TV ?
Dialing For Dollars is trying to find me.
I wait for delivery each day until three,
So oh Lord, won't you buy me a color TV ?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town ?
I'm counting on you, Lord, please don't let me down.
Prove that you love me and buy the next round,
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town ?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends,
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?



5 comments:

Z said...

Great song, I remember it so well....and her.
I guess "OH Lord, won't you give me some peace of mind, my friends all are greedy and I'm in a bind......I just want to know you and stop being blind, oh Lord, won't you give me some peace of mind" would have been a good verse? :-)

Craig and Heather said...

I like Z's addition!

Sadly, Dan, I have to admit that I've noticed my own tendency to be drawn to the dissatisfaction, covetousness and materialistic affection this song embodies. The realization of how easy it is to "feed the inner beast" in our culture has been so, so sobering.

Heather

Danny Wright said...

Z

I don't know Z, I can't put those lyrics through the 8 track tape player in my head without them coming out in the voice of Janice Joplin. Somehow that short circuits the idea... in my head... if you know what I mean.

PS did you write those yourself?

Heather

I know what you mean. Just as you mentioned with feminism, I'm not sure to what extent I've bought into this culture and all of its discontentment bearing seed. I suppose there are a couple of things one should be mindful of: realizing the problem exists is the first step in fixing it, and we'll never get them all fixed in this life long process of being transformed into his likeness. Of coarse that casts us head long into his mercy, mercy that the older I get and the more I figure out about life, the more I'm filled with praise on account of and gratitude for.

Z said...

yes, i wrote them here and yes, it's hard to think of Joplin singing those words, that's for sure! (if that's what you meant!)

Hey, we could do a song called EIGHT TRACKS OF YOUR MIND (like Windmills of your mind?:-)

Anonymous said...

Well said! What is most sad is that the author of the lyrics seemed to be poking fun at the prosperity gospel preachers, whereas they take themselves seriously.