Saturday, March 31, 2007

At One With Nature?

I had a professor once that claimed to be a Native American. I'm sure he actually was because he was still mad as all get out that those white Europeans came over here and stole all this land. He was sure that if they hadn't done that, he'd be living here right now at one with nature. somehow these pictures * (look for the "next" button to see all) of the new Grand Canyon sky walk don't seem to wash with the whole oneness with nature thing. It seems these guys have done a wonderful job of defacing mother earth, and sinning against the environment. But to those who would paint Native Americans as the quintessential environmentalist I would ask: could it be that man is hopeless and in need of a savior, even if the environment were his god? Just a thought.

In their defense they've done a spectacular job of making a wonderful tourist attraction. I'm glad they were able to pull this off. It does cost something to go out on it, but I don't think it's very much. I'd heard about it, but I didn't realize it had a glass floor. This has to be worth the trip! Three cheers for the Native Americans!

* These pictures can be found on the home page of Cox Communications in Arizona, and are the property of AZcentral.com

3 comments:

Jon said...

This is interesting. In Ishmael by Daniel Quinn, the author argues that we would achieve "salvation" by living as the Native Americans did (by which he means the human race would live forever and teach its wisdom to the next race that comes down the evolutionary pike). It seems that Quinn would agree that we are hopeless and need redemption. I would differ with him as to the reasons for and solution to this problem. It looks like we are all searching for something.

Danny Wright said...

I would say to Mr. Quinn that it seems evolution has already dealt with the Native Americans. (To be clear, I reject evolution)

Fortunately for the Native Americans, and even more so for me, God is NOT done with us!

Do you recomend the book Ishmael?

Jon said...

I was recommended the book by a fellow Christian, who told me Quinn gives a fresh, new interpretation to the creation account in Genesis. Unfortunately, his interpretation doesn't fit in with the context of the rest of Genesis, and of the biblical story as a whole. Mainly, Quinn eliminates any moral aspect from the Fall, which ultimately renders Christ's death as meaningless.

That being said, it is a compelling read, and it does make you think. So I was glad to have read it, but ultimately there was a lot in the book with which I could not agree.