From my Facebook Friend, Michael Johnson:
Here are a few simple tips to help make sure that what happened to Trayvon Martin does not happen to your child...
1. Don't raise a thug.
2. Teach your children to be polite and respectful to the people they may encounter.
3. Know where your kids are, and what they are up to.
4. If your child is already a thug, has his own burglary tool kit, has been suspended from school, and your neighborhood is experiencing a rash of burglaries, take him around and introduce him to the local Neighborhood Watch members, and give them your phone number.
5. Keep Skittles in your house at all times.
If you are a teenager, and you want to avoid Trayvon Martin's fate yourself, here are some tips for you...
1. Don't be a thug.
2. Be polite and respectful to the people that you may encounter.
3. If you are walking around alone in the dark, and someone is following you, go home.
4. If a person confronts you while you are walking around alone in the dark and asks you where you are going, politely tell them where you are going,and then go there.
5. Under no circumstances should you ever start beating on random people you know nothing about. You could get yourself shot.
6. If you live in a neighborhood that has been plagued with a rash of burglaries, you are suspended from school, have your own burglary tool kit, and you are out of Skittles, try to get by with Raisinettes, or M&Ms, or whatever else you may have in the house until you can go to the store in the daylight.
By following these simple tips, you can help to avoid a repeat of the Trayvon Martin tragedy, and if this saves even one life, then it will have been worth the time it took me to write it.